Tuesday, July 8, 2014

An Ongoing Project


So next I’ll show off an army that has been literally years in the making.






For those unfamiliar, Games Workshop has a range of models licenced by New Line Cinema and the Tolkien Estate. The current incarnation is The Hobbit Strategy Battle Game (formerly the Lord of the Rings SBG).
I began collecting the figures way back when the Two Towers set was considered the main starter. However, my local group decided to go big. We weren’t satisfied with limiting ourselves to 10 or 12 models and a hero. We wanted to recreate the massive battle of Helm’s Deep or Pellenor Fields! We wanted to see the epic battles between Dwarves and Goblins under the mountains take form on our table top! Clearly the Strategy Battle Game was fine for creating vignettes within the framework of larger battles, but really couldn’t handle the massive number of units needed to portray the larger scene.
The solution? Games Workshop introduced an entirely different set of rules, using the same figures, but on a massive scale. Welcome to War of the Rings. No more limiting yourself to a few models on the table. No. Now we’re talking hundreds!
Unfortunately, Games Workshop no longer supports that rule set, but our little group already has everything we need to play, and the manufacturer still makes plenty of models that can be used.
All of that was just to introduce you to one of my ongoing projects. I currently have enough models to field two of the different Lord of the Rings factions, Rohan and Gondor, as well as furnishing my team with some pretty useful allies, such as Gandalf, or giant eagles. However, it’s been a while since I’ve done anything with them.  This past year, since about early December, has really been the year of Infinity for me. I’m sure you’ll hear more about this if you check back on this site. I was really excited though, to find a pack of 24 Warriors of Minas Tirith, the normal foot soldier for my Gondor army, for only $20 at a local retailer. (Ironically, I was there for an Infinity event….)
So here’s where we are with the new additions:




I’ve clipped them all, but this pile of dead looking warriors will take a little more work to become viable companies.
  
The worst thing about revisiting a project like this that has been in process for years is that I really really hate my old paint jobs. Some days I’d like to just strip every model and start over, but trying to repaint over
So, in War of the Ring, each company is made up of either 8 infantry, 2 cavalry, or a monster. Off the top of my head I have enough models to make 6 companies of Warriors of Minas Tirith, 4 companies of Archers, 4 companies of Veterans of Osgiliath, 6 companies of Knights, 3 companies of Rangers, and 4 companies of Numenoreans. (I may come back and correct these numbers slightly. Only the Warriors, Archers, and Veterans are shown in the pic.) That is roughly 180 models plus captains, banners, heroes (like Aragorn and Faramir), a bolt thrower (3 models), and allies. Needless to say, there’s no way for me to practically go back and repaint that many figures. Bear in mind I also have a Rohirim army that could use the same kind of attention……. No way.
I may, if I somehow get done painting my ongoing Infinity collection, go back and show some of the heroes some love, but the regulars of that poor army will have to remain faceless and somewhat less ornate.
More updates to come. Here’s a sneak peek of some other things I have on the go as well:



No comments:

Post a Comment